Brewing Energy saving pilot for an innoVative, Efficient, and enviRonmental beverAGE process
The boiling step is the most energy consuming step in the brewing process. Previous research at AB InBev led to the publishing of the patented technology of “Method for treating a wort in a boiling kettle”. Fuel and water consumption can be drastically reduced in this process step by a disruptive innovation; using atmospheric air as the ultimate green resource.
With this project we contribute to our 2017 environmental goals and beyond by reducing:
• the water usage to a leading-edge 3.2 hectoliters per hectoliter of production
• the energy usage by at least 10% per hectoliter of production on top of the level we achieved in 2012
• the greenhouse gas emissions in beverage production by another 10% per hectoliter of production.
With a successful realization of the pilots, we estimate the following impacts in the 2 breweries:
• Reduction of water usage with 2% on top of the level achieved in 2014
• Reduction of energy usage with 12%
• Reduction of carbon footprint with 8%
While aiming at reaching these environmental goals, the brand integrity and high quality standards of our beers needs to be maintained or improved.
LIFE a funding instrument of the EU which supports the environment and climate action. The objective of LIFE is to contribute to the implementation, update and development of EU environmental and climate policy and legislation by co-financing projects which add value to Europe. Since 1992, LIFE has co-financed more than 4,300 projects.
In 2015 the European Commission approved the co-financing of AB InBev’s BEVERAGE project.
If you are interested in implementing the technology in your own brewery, do not hesitate to get in touch. We offer the license with a toolkit for free to brewers producing less than 1 million hl per year.
The content of this website reflects only the author’s view. The agency/Commission is not responsible for any use that may be made of the information it contains.